View Single Post
Blackcat31 06:55 AM 04-30-2019
Originally Posted by Daycaremomma01:
DCP dropped off 3 kids with “allergies” (runny nose, cough) on a Thursday and Friday - youngest spiked a fever just after lunch Friday so I called dcm to pick them up. My toddler ended up catching the cold (colds quickly turn pneumonia or croup for her EVERY time) so I spent the whole weekend managing symptoms and administering breathing treatment - everything I’ve been told to do at the slightest sign of a cold coming on - I texted DCM Sunday and let her know that I wouldn’t be available Monday because toddler had caught her kids allergies and was going to the doctor. Not the ideal way to handle it... I just created a contract(handed out at drop off this morning, yay!) and made sure to add that runny nose with ANY accompanying symptoms or any color but clear would be denied care or sent home. (And that “dose & drop” is grounds for immediate termination.)
Good idea to have a strict illness policy!
It definitely helps curb the cycling of illnesses.

Just wanted to point out however that green/yellow nasal discharge does not always mean infection. You can have an illness in conjunction with clear nasal discharge too

https://www.webmd.com/allergies/feat...-about-mucus#1
"You might have heard that yellow or green mucus is a clear sign that you have an infection, but despite that common misperception, the yellow or green hue isn't due to bacteria.

When you have a cold, your immune system sends white blood cells called neutrophils rushing to the area. These cells contain a greenish-colored enzyme, and in large numbers they can turn the mucus the same color.

But "you can have perfectly clear mucus and have a terrible ear and sinus infection," Kao says. If you do have an infection, you'll likely also have other symptoms, such as congestion, fever, and pressure in your face, overlying the sinuses"