View Single Post
Daycare Mommy 07:37 AM 05-04-2010
Originally Posted by DBug:
I agree with this. My own kids didn't train until I threw away the pull-ups. I don't know what I would have done if they were in daycare 5 days a week. Most parents can't take vacation time just to toilet-train at home, and alot of kids take more than just a few days.

Right now my own daughter is in cloth training pants with a diaper cover, as per my policy. We do potty time every hour, and of course I'll take her on her own if she needs to go. I also don't have a problem with cloth diapers though, and I see the training pants as basically the same thing. As long as they have a waterproof cover, I don't have a problem with it.

I may ruffle some feathers with this, but I'll say it anyway Aren't we supposed to be caring for kids in whatever way they need? If that means toilet training with cloth underwear, then that's what it means. Parents need to understand though, that they need to provide waterproof covers, and that they may be taking home a bag of messy clothes and underwear everyday

I do tell parents that they shouldn't expect their kids to be toilet trained by what goes on here, but that potty time is something all walkers do, all at the same time. It's just part of our routine.
Well yes we can help with potty training, but with Mac60's kid he's not going even when she puts him on the potty every hour. Of COURSE he peed in his underwear, poor kid's gotta go sometime. And the mom said he had several accidents over the weekend, still needs pullups in my book (I know we don't agree on that, but even a waterproof cover is better than what this mom sent him in.) And requiring pull ups for potty training while in daycare, I haven't had 1 kid yet who has left for kindergarten not potty trained. Most are right around 3-3 1/2 when they finish potty training here. Some go earlier and so go later. I've found the biggest factor (other than just being developmentally ready) is parental involvement. If they are putting it all on the daycare and still diapering or not taking them to the potty often at home than yeah, it's probably gonna be a longer haul for that kid to get through it because they aren't getting consistency between daycare and home.

Mac, have you had the mom come in at drop off and pick up time and take him to the potty? Some timid kids I have had in the past seemed to need mom's reassurance them it's okay to go in daycare too. Also are you sure he's using a real toilet at home and not a potty chair that sits on the floor?