View Single Post
racemom 07:25 AM 03-07-2015
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I do agree with you BUT in centers there are usually many people working with each group of children. In an in-home usually there is one, we have no one else to 'send them' to when we need a time-out ourselves. It has more to do with how it's affecting the whole group.
Right now I'm on the edge of terming/not terming a 7 yo dcb. I REALLY do not want to do it because I can only imagine how it makes a family and child feel. Yes, the $ is important, of course. And if I do it, it means I have failed him in some way. He's not a 'bad' kid, it's a tough mix for this particular group.
Let's face it, a forum is a place to come to, for advice, letting off steam, having others help us see 'both sides of the coin', thinking outside the box, and more.
The only reason I brought the question up was how do centers deal with a more challenging child because(at least from what I've seen)kids tend to stay there longer than in homes. I certainly don't like giving up on a child, they're still learning and growing. We could be that one person in their life to make a change for them. But in trying to be that one person, we cannot fail the others. It's a challenge for all.
i don't think she was trying to make in home daycare providers feel bad about terming. But some home providers on here make it seem like a center is a terrible, greedy place, that only care about money. I agree with this center owner, we are less likely to kick a child out, some times we are their only stable place.
We also have children who have no discipline, and we are the only place they have rules to follow. My director has accepted children into care who have been kicked out of all other daycares in town, and no, it wasn't for the money. It was for the parent sitting in her office crying because she has to work and no one else would accept her son. So yes, I think centers are more likely to keep difficult children, but it's not all about money.