Thread: Venting Thread
View Single Post
Blackcat31 12:38 PM 11-02-2016
Originally Posted by Indoorvoice:
Thanks! I didn't think to break it into steps for some reason. I've been doing it all at once and obviously her mind does not work that way. I'll keep trying. We also do it multiple times a day but I feel like we're always in a hurry. I need to sloooow down. This is my biggest struggle.
I have learned to be a bit proactive with some of the hurried parts of the day. If I know we are going to be going outside after center play, I'll have the kids that need some extra time pick up and head out to the cubby/coat room first while the rest of the kids are finishing their clean up and bathroom time.
This allows the kids that need that little bit of extra time (it CAN be incredibly hard to watch a child struggle with something you can so easily do in .5 nano-seconds...)

It just works well to give them a "head start" so I dont feel like I am rushing them or that I am making them feel I am impatient... especially when I kind of feel like, other than personal responsibility, being in a hurry is one of the biggest issues our current society struggles with.

Breaking it down into steps also gives the child small chances to feel successful and confident verses having to wait for the entire process to be completed before hearing "Yay! You did it!" kwim?