View Single Post
Mom2Two 05:34 PM 04-03-2019
I tried to keep a school aged daycare kid happy and entertained one year during the Summer and it was a dismal failure. (This was in my first year of doing daycare). So I decided that if I ever had a SA kid again, I would treat them the same that I had found I needed to treat my oldest during school breaks, back when I was a SAHM.

My son always had fun the first three weeks of Summer, then he turned into a whiny pain in the neck, every. single. year. In the end, I learned that he needed to do some chores everyday, so that he was more grateful for his free time and for the outings we planned.

I currently have two SA dck who I have watched since they were 2 yo and now they are almost 7 and are still coming here during school breaks. They are just a bit younger than my daughter, and they are all friends, and they really enjoy each other. But the reality is that my daycare is not designed for SA kids, and occasionally they claim that they are bored. But I tell them that if they are bored then they can do a chore for me. I also have them do some kinda fun academic lessons each day. I feel like having some scheduled lesson time and also the chores helps them to keep their perspective.

I was open with the parents about the arrangement and they understand and appreciate it.