View Single Post
nannyde 10:32 AM 07-05-2014
Silver I hope my post didn't come off as harsh. I don't mean it like that. I'm going to turn this into an article and I have been thinking about it for days trying to square the concepts. I'm not there yet so I just did a rough sketch with this post.

I've been reading for a week or so the research supporting the attachment parenting. I'm a lurker on ap websites and boards. I don't contribute much so I don't have these conversations much. I just ponder.

Lately I have seen so many threads where the problems the parents claim are bugging the hell out of me. I read one the other day about a breastfeeding mom who's older baby won't nurse unless he is scratching, pinching, clawing her other nipple while he sucks. It hurts but he is so darn cute. Wha? Another one about her kid doing the same thing for the last TEN months but the mom endures because she wants the kid to nurse. Few threads previous the same parent is talking about the kid keeping her up all night then slapping her across the face when the bedtime story ends.

Solution? Tell the baby no.. that hurts mommy. Use gentle hands.

I can't tell you how many stories about the kids being screen addicts and won't eat anything but treats. Extended breastfeeding plus hot dogs and gummy worms.

Every story I think... isn't this approach supposed to be an insurance policy against violence? The attached two year old sucker punches his mom? The all night reverse cycling breastfeeding tone year old on hot dogs? Isn't the method an insurance policy against poor eating habits? Three year old up in the middle of the night watching Frozen? Isn't co sleeping end game a deep sleeping all nighter kid?

I don't see the value of the adult intensive care in the core areas of child growth and development if you don't net the highest quality in those areas.