View Single Post
cheerfuldom 01:26 PM 07-06-2014
Originally Posted by MV:
I was going to post but Silver said it all. AP has a bad rap because people use it incorrectly. I like RIE and the idea that others think of it "those people that let their baby's cry" or other AP approaches thatvare thought of as "those people that don't let their baby's cry" is saddening. Both are just common sense parenting. IDK know about AP parenting but I'm familiar with RIE and over and over the handbook says to observe the baby's cues and wait, to do what is best for the parent and child ... not to do what is easier and definitely not to prevent the child from crying. It's work, getting to know your child enough to know whether they are crying because they're hurt or hungry or simply because they need to cry and then reacting appropriately.
I think RIE is another approach that has a lot of great techniques, specifically the promotion of no baby equipment and no propping babies. There is a lot to be gained from the approach. My only issue with RIE is that I find some parents become too un-involved in their attempt to foster independence. I will always step in for issues of safety and my definition of safe is probably more conservative than a lot of RIE moms. anyway, thats a whole different topic.