View Single Post
Unregistered 11:40 AM 02-18-2020
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I have a DCB who is 2.5 and he spends the entire day doing basically nothing. Wanders around aimlessly not playing with anything. He also stares at me all.the.time (which is the most annoying part of this whole thing). I have no idea what is going on with this kid. Any advice? I have mostly been ignoring him. Once or twice I asked him to stop staring and go play. When I bring it up to mom he is “perfect at home” and she doesn’t seem to care!
I have one that just turned three that is like this. Spends a large part of his day just sitting. I have tons of toys and he just sits and stares into space or stares at his feet. He's smart and communicates well but he's lazy. He is catered to at home and they do everything for him. He can't dress or undress himself. He has to be reminded at every meal to eat slowly and take small bites. He is in my opinion potty trained but refuses to use the potty (he went for two full weeks staying completely dry here and telling me each time he needed to go). He will tell me "I want the matchbox cars!" then sit and wait for me to get up and get them from the toy box (which I do NOT do). He wants someone to do for him and entertain him constantly and that is not happening here. He also has NO desire to learn anything (colors, ABC's, counting, etc). He is slowly picking some of it up just from every day happenings but if I try to work with him on any of it he will turn his back and walk off. If I try to read to him he tries to turn the pages and talks very loudly over me. If I get down and try to play with him, color with him, do a craft with him he turns his back on me. I worried and worried for months that I was doing something wrong with him but I now realize it's his home environment. It's NOT me. He is being catered to non stop at home and they constantly take him places and do things with him so he has NO idea how to play alone or entertain himself. He also can not follow even simple instructions most of the time. I think it's because they don't give him any at home! They just do for him instead. It's sad but it is what it is. I have just been letting him sit. I have great toys here so if he's bored it's his own fault.

While your situation sounds different in a lot of aspects I thought I would let you know it's not happening at your house!