View Single Post
MarinaVanessa 08:53 AM 08-03-2011
Originally Posted by dEHmom:
i'm just wondering though, because my site is now mine and not weebly anymore, is it copyright? or it doesn't matter? because if i type in the website with the weebly.com after it it still comes up so i guess it's still weebly.
I'm not sure if it applies the same way in all countries but since copyright right's extend to foreign countries I don't see why it doesn't apply to Canada too. Here's what I found (US website):

"Do I have to register with your office to be protected?
No. In general, registration is voluntary. Copyright exists from the moment the work is created. You will have to register, however, if you wish to bring a lawsuit for infringement of a U.S. work."

US Copyright Office FAQ's

Originally Posted by dEHmom:
i won't bother with any legal stuff on it, i'm just upset she would stoop to that level. i mean we are competition. if it was somewhere else in the world or even another city i wouldn't care so much. but how could i prove that it was mine first you know? there's no way to prove it.
Even if you aren't really going to court over it, she doesn't know that. Technically anything that you post on your website is copyrighted automatically and cannot be copied word for word.

You can always contact her and say "I'm really quite flattered that you would want to copy my website but I would appreciate it if you would remove anything on your website that I have on mine. I really want to keep things on a friendly and proffesional level with you and really don't want to take things further. I'm sure you understand my position." You'd be surprised at how effective it is (I've been in your position before).

I wouldn't like the idea of knowing that a potential client saw my website and saw hers too and wondered who the "copyer" was. It is your hard work afterall.