View Single Post
Familycare71 05:08 AM 08-21-2013
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I will get the exact reg later on (I just started my coffee! ) but it does allow for a provider to use the bathroom without the kids! It does say that it would PREFER that another adult supervise the children while the provider uses the bathroom, but understands this isn't always the case. They know we are mostly here alone, they gave us a license for it. Now, does this mean we can leave kids where ever to use the bathroom? No. If someone gets hurt you are still liable. So years ago I developed my "potty plan" Infants and young toddlers are always "put up" for safety in an area they can't be reached by the other children. Older toddlers and young preschoolers are put up in the high chairs/booster seats with special "table toys" specifically for this purpose. Older preschoolers who can handle it are able to continue to play where they are - but this is something that I make clear is for kids who can handle it. And then I go quickly!

I know where the OP is coming from, I cringe when I hear providers say "but I just turned my back for a minute!" with kids they admit are having issues. I am here on a daily basis by myself, so I'm not going to try to blow smoke up anyone's behind about how I have eyes and ears everywhere as if I'm omnipotent. I think what providers absolutely need to plan for is those times when they CAN'T be eyes on. Because to say it *never* happens is unrealistic. Even providers on this thread who said they "always" are eyes on/direct supervisors admit that there are times they can not or won't directly supervise (older children using the bathroom independently). I will say I have NEVER had a child injured on my watch or had property destroyed and had no idea what happened! Mostly because of eyes on supervision, but also a plan for when I can't!

Just looked up the reg it says:

*If there is no other adult in the family day care home, the office recommends the provider interest the children in an activity in a location close enough to the bathroom that would allow the provider to hear the children. If the children are close enough in location that the provider can temporarily supervise the children through auditory means, this will be considered an acceptable alternative to visual supervision for this single purpose. the children should always be told where the provider will be in case they need her/him immediately.

ETA: My "potty plan" has the kids at the kitchen table and dining room, both of which are right by the bathroom. The older kids are on one side, the youngers are on the other and I have the door slightly open. Completely within regs!
. THANK YOU!! - exactly what my registrar sent