View Single Post
Meeko 11:19 AM 12-22-2018
I have 14 families. Most gave a small gift and a card. A couple were very generous indeed.

But the one I treasure most this year is from a sweet single mom. She's been with me for about 18 months. Her little boy is a sweetheart. Her husband just decided one day that marriage wasn't for him and walked out. They divorced. Fast forward to last month and he decided to get married again. I'm not sure of the details, but the marriage was annulled after one week!!!!!!!!!!!! He has been picking up his son less and less and last month I got a call from a guy who introduced himself as the principal of the school the mom works at in their front office. He said that the school staff wanted to secretly pay for the next month of daycare as they found out the dad isn't paying his child support and times are very tough for the mom (she has an older daughter too) and she is so sweet and selfless. So they venmo'd me the tuition and asked me not to tell her who paid it. It was so nice of them and the mom cried when I told her.

This week, she came with a pretty little dish with some candy in it. Along with it, was a heartfelt note about how much it means to her to know her son is safe and cared for and how she couldn't manage without me etc. It was lovely. I noticed later that she had forgotten to remove the tag from under the dish. She got it as the local thrift store for 50c. I got teary, because it's not the price of the gift, it's because she went out with very little money to spare to find something to give. I will treasure it.