Thread: Time Outs
View Single Post
caregiver 04:22 PM 01-03-2011
So far, it is nice to know that I am not the only one to use time outs. I don't think that just putting them in time out for as many minutes as they are old though, is going to do any good. You have to have them sit for at least ten minutes so they can think about what they did and why they are in time out. If you only put them in for a few minutes, it isn't really making them accountable for their actions. They will know that if they do something wrong, well,they will say I can do this, I will only be in time out for a few minutes, no big deal. BUT, if you make them sit for awhile, they will soon learn that they don't want to sit in time outs because kids don't like to sit still and it will hopefully help them to not misbehave again. A few minutes is not really curing the problem,you have to make them understand that what they did was wrong, otherwise they will keep misbehaving. I don't use time outs because I get fustrated when they do something naughty,it is not for me, it is to make the child understand that they can't do what ever they did and that they will have to sit out for awhile. The children need to learn at a young age that if they do something they should not be doing, they will have to have consequences. This redirection thing isn't solving the misbehaving problem, just gettiing them to do something else, but they NEED to know what they did wrong is not acceptable. Saying"why don't you go get another toy to play with" if they took a toy away from another child, is not making them understand that it is not ok to take toys away from another, just telling them to go get something else.. Now is that fair? They should be made aware that was not a good thing to do so they won't do it again. They won't understand that what they did was wrong if you just get them to do something else. Kids need disipline, they will try to see how far they can get away with something and if there is no consequences then they will keep doing it knowing they can get away with it and no one will do anything about what they are doing. How are they going to learn right from wrong if we don't make them understand it by making them know that they will not get away with whatever they are doing with no actions. Time outs are a way for the child to sit and thnk about what they did and a few minutes is not long enough. I do not use any other kind of punisment, don't believe in spanking or the spoon or any other physcial punishment, but do think time outs are a way of making them understand what they did was not ok. Our job as providers is to teach the children many things and one of them is how to be a good person by showing them the right way and the wrong way of things, but if there is no disipline, then how do they learn how to be a good person and how to treat others as they want to be treated.