View Single Post
sharlan 02:35 PM 08-25-2014
Originally Posted by MV:
Not where I am. My food program requires me to give whole milk to children 1-2 years of age, after 2 I have to serve 1%. It's the same for me about the juice and water. Juice counts as serving of fruit (as long as it's 100% juice) and water has to be available at all times.

But yes, the IRS doesn't care what you serve. You can serve Cheetos and fruit punch for all meals as far as they're concerned.

OP:
If parents opt to give their child over 2 years old whole milk then I have to at least "offer" it. I say "Johnny do you want the pink milk (1%) or the red milk (whole)?" Usually they choose whole but I require the parents to supply anything that I can't count as a serving on my food program because I still have to buy the 1% milk. It has only been a problem for me once and mom brought me whole milk for a few weeks then just stopped so I gave DCB 1% milk from then on.

Really, it shouldn't be a big deal. Our milk servings are so small that if you stick with them you can just tell the parents that you will provide 1% at daycare and that they can give them whole milk at home. Parents usually serve their kids at least twice as much milk as they should anyway so if they are worried about the extra that 1% milk is lacking the they can make it up at home. You know they fill a sippy with milk while their child walks around at home or serve them more than is required for their meal anyway .
You're correct. I was talking about kids over the age of 2.