View Single Post
MomBoss 01:45 PM 03-08-2018
My personal belief is that a pacifier should be taken away at 6 months. This is before the start of Object permanence so it makes it easier to get rid of.
"The American Academy of Pediatrics and American Academy of Family Physicians recommend limiting or stopping pacifier use after your baby is 6 months old to reduce the risk of ear infections. After that, using a pacifier is linked to increased ear infections, especially among 2- and 3-year-olds."
My son was done with his pacifier at 4 months. He attatched himself to a frog stuffed animal that he still has to this day. He sleeps with it but its not allowed to go anywhere but his bed. I was a blanky kid and still have that special blanket to this day lol. I just dont like kids sucking on things. Its gross and i believe it causes more of an oral fixation. I teach that only food goes in the mouth. No hands, no toys, that spreads germs!
In daycare, pacifiers are done at 12months. Parents understand this before enrolling. I once let a 18month old have her pacifier at nap and would scream her head off every time she couldnt find it or she tossed it over her crib and couldnt get it. I was done running in the nap room every 10 min. We went cold turkey and it took a few days before she would stop asking for it. Her parents now say if they have another baby they will not be giving a pacifier because of the drama and stress it caused them at home.