View Single Post
daycare 04:22 PM 09-06-2011
Originally Posted by Meeko60:
Amen to this.

It seems to be more and more pressing for day care providers to be teachers nowadays. Parents expecting pre-school activities all day for their two year olds.

I do have a weekly theme and we do some activities during the week to go along with that theme. But that's it.

About ten years ago, I felt I HAD to come up with a "program" for the kids. It drove me nuts. The parents pretended they cared when they signed up, but before long, the art projects stayed in the kids' cubbies and I ended up throwing them away. It was a waste of my time and my money. The parents never asked about the program. They never looked at the calendar. They never followed any of the requests (wear red day for example) They just wanted a babysitter even when they SAID they wanted pre-school.

I came to the conclusion that those who really truly wanted PRE-SCHOOL payed mega bucks for a separate program with a qualified TEACHER. I am not a teacher. I am a Mom. I have 25 years plus experience in taking care of children. I do that very well. But I did not go to school to be a teacher.

I believe small children learn while they PLAY. They learn math skills when playing with blocks. They learn life skills when playing dress up and interacting with their peers etc etc.

If I was you, don't feel pressured into turning your day care into a mini kindergarten. Those little ones have plenty of time for a formal school education.

Your job is to love them, feed them and keep them safe as they play. They are toddlers..... not small college students.

De-stress!
ditto this..
I provide a preschool program, and at the start parents are so into it and can't wait. Then after a week or two goes by, the parents stop participating in caring so much about what goes on here. They didn't care that it was show and tell, care to bring something that starts with the letter A, or even particiapte in returning permission slips that were sent home.

I used to make a montly calendar and menu, then parents would walk in and say oh what are the kids doing today or what is for lunch. Um it posted on the website, on the wall and one was given to you at the start of the month.

Well to end frustration, I stopped doing things to please everyone. It's about the kids. As long as they are having fun and are being well cared for, I really think that is all anyone cares about. At least in my experience.

Don't stress yourself out....buy some cool non battery operated toys, like legos and blocks and let the kids have at it.

I have so much stuff that we could do a different project everyday and we do most of it unplanned. Follow the kids lead and go from there.... Trust me your days will seem less stressed and you will feel better about your days too...