View Single Post
Cradle2crayons 01:17 PM 10-09-2013
Originally Posted by care giver:
Tried the coloring book today as he was acting out again in the morning and after lunch. After lunch when he acted out again, I took him out of the group and he said to me"now I get to color". It doesn't seem to mean anything to him except he thinks when he acts up now, he gets to color. So it is not resolving the problem at hand, so I need to do something else to get him to understand that it is not nice to take toys away and push the other kids. He is a very smart boy! Having him sit with me or be with me while I do something will not work either as he will start to wander and I tell him to get back here and he starts his tantrum thing and screams. Besides terming him, what other ideas does anyone have as to how to get through to this kid,make him understand that he can not do what he is doing, but giving him some other thing to do is not getting through to him,he just thinks what he did was ok and now he gets to do something else, do you see what I mean? Nothing is working and he keeps doing the taking away and pushing. It is not solving the issue. I am at my wits end,never have had a child that is so stubborn and won't listen.
Really it takes more than one day to get e desired response sometimes. He may think coloring is cool right now but day after day gets boring. Also, let the others do something super fun so he realizes his actions have made him miss something more fun than coloring. Consistency is the key rather than trying one thing once andthen trying something else.