View Single Post
momofboys 06:51 PM 09-30-2010
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Yes exactly (sorry to get off topic) and no offense taken really. I guess it kind of evens out because my DC income goes towards HIS mortgage payment not OUR mortgage payment (the house is his only) so I don't get to claim as much for the money that I give him from my income. It's the same for the bills, does that make sense?

I was explained that because I am not under the mortgage then I can't claim time/space % for the entire amount, only for the amount that I give him each month. So if I was on the mortgage we were married and did our taxes together and the mortgage was let's say $3,000 and I gave him $1,000 a month from my DC income we could claim the time/space % for the entire $3,000. Since I am not then I can only claim time/space % for the $1,000 that I do give him. Same goes for the utilities. Another reason that we don't get married is because well, we're poor lol. Which is why I need to apply for programs in order to be able to take classes... which leads, to the higher education that, the more I learn to be able to have a better program etc.

In essence it's a trade off and even then not a very good one since classes cost $80 per class plus the cost of books which is anywhere from $35-$150 for each class.
I think I sort of understand but it's hard to wrap the details around my brain Wowza, is your mortgage really that high? I know you were just using those numbers as an example. If it is you are very rich compared to me, lol! Ours is not even 1/3rd of the number you quoted but I know it all depends on where you live, I live in a relatively LCOL area & I assume in CA yours is much higher.