View Single Post
happymom 09:24 AM 08-11-2015
I'm trying to get some input on how to handle an incident that (in my opinion) should have never happened. My 3 year old son was picked up by an older boy and dropped on the asphalt on his head. My husband was already on his way to pick him up with the incident happened as it was the end of the day, he was covered in blood, very drousy and out of it, and required a few stitches in his forehead. No concussion, but that was my biggest concern.

I realize an accident like this can happen at any time, but at this time my child was on the playground along with an older group of kids. It was a child from their after school program (grade school) that picked up my son. They are not supposed to be on the playgroud together. My little guy is off the charts small, about a head shorter than the other kids, and he is picked up frequently by the other kids (him and I have talked about it on several occasions). The same thing happened to me when I was a kid and I hated it. I don't know. I like his school and he's only been there a short while, but I feel like this accident was very avoidable.

I spoke with the director this morning. She was there last night but gone by the time we finished getting medical attention. Everyone has apologized profusely and says they think that the other kids learned from the incident and won't pick him up anymore. I'm not sure what more she could have said or what I expect. I don't want to cause a big stink and get mad over something that's in the past, but what if there's a real problem? I keep being told that the big kids were lining up to leave the playground and the little kids had just come out and they are not supposed to be on the playground together. This does not align in my head because several times at pick up my son is on the playground with the kindergarteners/first graders....so why is it happening frequently if it's against their policy?

Also, I assume the medical bills are all mine or does the daycare have some liability? I really don't like causing a stink but I am starting to wonder if it's in my best interest to move him