View Single Post
childcaremom 06:51 AM 02-02-2016
If child is eating at home, then I would put the food on the tray and leave her to eat or not. If she is hungry, she will eat.

Of course, this is offered based on dcm's assurances that all is well. I had one child who would not eat during the day for me. She ate a big breakfast at home, big dinner in the evening. She was extremely picky. So after talking to dcm, we decided that I would offer, she would eat or not. This was an older child, though.

If YOU are seeing other areas of concern, and are concerned about the no eating during the day, I would just put it out to dcm, that:
- she needs to provide the food. Period.
Once you can see that child will/can eat, you will return to providing food.

It is so hard to say b/c we don't have full story. Is child underweight? Appear small for their size? Etc etc.

If yes to above, then I would give child 2-3 weeks to show improvement and then term. Telling dcm all of this and the why. (I would term if there were health issues and child wouldn't eat for me... and this is exactly what I would tell dcm: that child needs to be in a program where she is comfortable enough to eat.)

If child seems healthy otherwise, I would just continue to offer. If child is hungry, she will eat. This is assuming breakfast and dinner at home. So really she is only missing out on lunch and snacks. It's not a terribly healthy way to get food in, though.

Honestly, it sounds like this child is picky. Knows that if she holds out, will get crackers, bars, cookies. Purees, food pouches. I wouldn't even offer her the option anymore. Who is providing these foods? Dcm or you? Do you provide meals/food in your dc program?

I would also stop feeding the child. If she can pick up cheerios, crackers, bars, etc then she is quite capable of feeding herself other stuff.