View Single Post
jen 03:38 PM 03-21-2011
Originally Posted by Former Teacher:
Agreed. Even though when my husband said that he was going to call the police since we couldn't understand him...he started saying "NO CALL COPS! NO CALL COPS!", he didn't run.

I hate feeling the way I do about immigrants/illegals because it does make me feel prejudiced. It just ticks me off that these immigrants/illegals have more rights than we Americans.

I remember one story years ago. This company (don't remember which one) told an hispanic man that he had 2, yes 2 YEARS to learn English, otherwise he couldn't work for them. Well 2 years later he still didn't know English. The company fired him. Guess what? He sued and won for discrimination.

It also ticks me off when I go buy something and the labels are in Spanish AND English. WTH??? This is AMERICA. The language is ENGLISH. If you favor one language, then favor them all.

Grr I can go on and on about this But I won't
I've never understood why it bothers people to make it a little easier to some people who may not understand the language. Really, so what? It isn't harming anyone to have the labels in two languages, so why not?

When my Great Grandmother moved here from Italy, she didn't speak English, but her children did, and their children did. Your ancestors probably didn't speak English when they arrived in this country either. The first generation citizens may never learn the language, but their children will!

When I was in Greece & Croatia last year, pretty much everything was in their native language and English. They also teach all their children in grade school to speak English. Whenever I had a question, I just found a kid!