View Single Post
BumbleBee 11:10 AM 10-31-2012
I have an 8 year old who is quite bossy/sassy with me. Basically thinks she can rule the roost here and when she can't the sassy's come out in full force. She also cops an attitude when I can't/won't do something immediately. Additionally she thinks that everybody else should do things for her but heaven forbid she do anything for others. Given that I thought I would recommend the following books for anyone else who has these issues:

1. Babushka's Doll by Patricia Polacco. ISBN: 0-689-80255-2. Published by Aladdin Paperbacks

Natasha isn't really a bad girl. It's just that she wants to play on the swing NOW, not after the laundry is done. She wants a ride in the goat cart NOW, not after the wash has been hung up to dry. And she wants her soup NOW, not after the goats have been fed. Looking after Natasha keeps Babushka, Natasha's grandmother, very busy.

Then, after lunch, Natasha notices a doll sitting on Babushka's shelf...a doll Babushka tells Natasha she played with just once when she was a little girl. When Natasha plays with the doll while Babushka goes to the store for groceries, she discovers why once is enough with Babushka's doll...and finds out just how tiring it can be to take care of a child who wants everything NOW.

2. Sassafras by Stephen Cosgrove illustrated by Robin James. ISBN: 0-8431-2302-8. Published by Price Stern Sloan

Kindness is always appreciated more than sarcasm.

3. The Muffin Muncher by Stephen Cosgrove illustrated by Robin James. ISBN: 0-8431-0561-5. Published by Price/Stern/Sloan

Helping others makes it easier for them to help you.