View Single Post
My3cents 09:55 AM 02-05-2014
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:
When I first opened a little over a year ago my policies and closing days were very different. And I "felt bad" about a lot more stuff, like closing early to bring my child to an appointment and such. I rarely closed other than major holidays, and had the idea of "I'll stay open for those who NEED me". I had done a lot of research beforehand, looking at other daycare policies and closing days, and didn't understand why some daycares would close on certain days or why they had certain policies. It didn't take long before I was realizing "aha, that's why!" Most of my policies have changed as situations arise. I view everything as a learning experience. The situations aren't fun to go through, but then you learn from them and amend policies to avoid it in the future and make everything smoother. I don't "feel bad" as much anymore because I now know that parents don't feel bad when taking advantage.

In my experience it's always the children with the worst behavior that will be here regardless of weather or parents being home!

This is my first time closing on a snow day. I changed my policy after many times staying open for those who HAD to work then found out they weren't working after all. There are a few things that really get under my skin and kids being here when the parent is home is one of them, aside from a parent needing an occasional down day because I understand that. But the repeat offenders are the ones that bother me. These children are with me for the majority of their awake hours ALL WEEK LONG! They would hugely benefit from spending a day home with their parents, and the fact that the parents choose not to spend time with their child amazes me! You can not get these years back!

I am not charging for snow days and it seems to have softened the blow and one mom even seemed excited!
I bolded above. Not only does it benefit the child it benefits the provider to have a break from a child. Not that the child is bad or something wrong with the child or me. It is just nice to get a breath of fresh air once in a while. We spend many hours of time with these children. We love them, but just as I understand the need for a break day for the parents, please understand that I enjoy that time too- It truly makes me a better provider. No issues other then a change for a day for both the child and provider-

I charge no matter if here or not. I have to be able to depend upon a weekly income.