View Single Post
Unregistered 07:10 AM 08-12-2009
Hi there!

thanks to you who posted a response! I'm definately gathering as much info as I can from previous in-home daycare that I used with my DD (although we are out of state now).

I used to work in a daycare when I was in college in the infant room, it was a ratio of 1:4 so I had 4 babies 6 wks to 6 mo to care for. Honestly I didn't think it was that bad, I LOVED that job. Now it was the older kids, the afterschool bunch that drove me insane!

My Dd does exceptionally well with a group of others, she models their behavior and at the daycare she was before I was laid off (home daycare) she never cared when I held a baby, she was jealous that she couldn't! She's always been very independent and not cuddly. Not that won't change once her new brother arrives, but I don't 'coddle' my babies. While there is a good amount of time to hold and snuggle I don't do it all day. I never did with DD and I don't plan on it with this one either. I had a routine with her that gave us all sanity and I plan to do the same.

This of course is not to say I'm nieve to think that adding a small group to the house won't be hectic, I know there are ups and downs. I've been the shoulder to cry on many times from my past providers regarding non-payment, pushy parents etc. They probably should not have opened to me like that, but I keep my mouth shut and just listen and I could tell they needed it! I got some good advice from my former provider, she said to Interview the client not the other way around and to never let the thought of losing money worry me if I have to let a child go due to the child or the parent. She said its not worth the money!

Actually around here 7:30-5 pm is pretty standard. I live in a more affulent neighborhood where most of the moms are teachers, or they stay at home but put their kids in daycare (weird I know but apparently going to the gym, social clubs and running errands are more important). Plus women like me who worked out of their home but needed some type of near full-time situation found the hours just fine. There are also alot of part-time workers around here so they might work 9-3 or something. I guess it is different everywhere you go. I live around alot of business owners too. Plus I guess that is my niche, I'm looking for 3-4 people not the world, at least right now! I could probably extent to 5:30 pm and be okay.

I appreciate the second poster's response regarding my husband's vision. I'm pretty sure that is what he is thinking because when we've had the neighbor boy my DD's age over we just let them play and we did not make them clean up (something that is a ritual here) so there was stuff everywhere. But I don't plan on letting the kids run the house. Circle time, craft and activity time at tables, free time but when its over, clean up we go.

Anyway thanks for your responses, I will try to really speak from my heart, have all my I's dotted and T's crossed.

About licensing, here we don't have to have a license, I want one but if it is dragging on at least I can operate without it since I'm in the 'application' process, or will be after hubby agrees. I've already checked on that point and they said YES.

Just have to get hubby on board!

Thanks!
Deena