View Single Post
momofboys 11:41 AM 09-13-2010
Originally Posted by Joyce:
I had never thought of posting on Craigslist, but another thread here inspired me to do so. I didn't get any calls for the first 3 days, but did get one today.

It states clearly in my ad (among other things) that my hours are until 5:00, and that I am in X school district (small town, but does have 3 elementary schools, and buses will only transport to the one appropriate to where you live). So.... first of all she asks if she can come for an interview in the evening. Says she gets back into town about 6 or 6:30 pm. All I thought about at first is that I'd really rather interview during my business day, so I'm asking her is there a day at all where she could come during the day? Even during her lunch or something? Then she tells me she works downtown of our large city 30 min north of here, and it dawns on me... she would need care till 6 or 6:30!!! But I don't mention it right away just in case she was going to say Dad or Grandma or someone will pick up dck by 5:00. THEN, she mentions he goes to Z school, and I say I'm in X district. I think she quickly realized that she hadn't read those 2 things clearly in my ad, and she said ok thanks and hung up quicker than I could say ok goodbye. WHY CAN'T PEOPLE READ THE ADS MORE THOROUGHLY THAN THAT??? I mean, come on! It was spelled out clearly. LOL.

Do you get very many calls from your Craigslist ads? Maybe it's the fact that I'm in a small rural town of about 12,000, but there are only 3 ads for my city. Usually between 2 and 5 in our local paper. And still, it's very difficult to fill empty spots. Many of mine come from current customers recommending to friends/relatives. Any other promotion ideas?
I have not gotten any clients through CL but I have had a few calls b/c of it. I have picked up 2 clients via Care.com & had a potential 3rd client but I did not want to care for twins at the time so I did not take them.