View Single Post
Preschool/daycare teacher 10:58 AM 04-02-2011
I don't know how everyone else's food programs are, and maybe it's just according to the individual in that food program that you ask, but we specifically asked our food program lady about what if a child doesn't like the milk, or food being offered, and we KNOW they won't eat it/drink it, and they've already told us they won't, can we just set it out so they can serve themselves what they want? They told us no, that because of the portion sizes required of each item, we have to serve it ourselves to make sure they get the full amount "offered" to them, on their plate in front of them (Or in their cup sitting in front of them). So all we are allowed to do about meal times and children not wanting milk is to waste it. Pour it into their cup and sit it in front of them. Only after the meal is over can we give them water instead. We can, of course, give them water AFTER they've already drank the required amount of milk. Just not before. Dumb I think, but I understand why the op wasn't too happy with being questioned about something out of her control anyway. I believe, too, that we shouldn't cater to the children just because they're picky. If they don't want to eat any of the food offered on their plate, that's up to them. But I'm not making a whole other meal, or even one food, just because they don't like anything offered. And I won't give several helpings of one particular food, to fill them up just because they won't eat anything else on their plate. It's their choice to eat and get filled up on what's offered. Otherwise they can wait a couple hours and eat the next meal/snack. They certainly won't go hungry or thirsty when we eat every couple of hours! and have water available at anytime throughout the day.