View Single Post
TXhomedaycare 09:51 AM 09-21-2016
sorry to hear that. Some of the things you just said is a learning curve (kids with no manners for example). You will get to teach them how to act at your home and get use to some of the things you won't be able to change but it can still be annoying. I would first call and see how much you competition is charging and see how much competition you have and what they offer. I'm not sure where you live in Texas but in some areas there are a ton of daycare homes (i'm talking like a few on a single street). I would put together a strong handbook and contract before you enroll anyone else and review your interview process to make sure you are weeding out the problem families. I only take kids 18 months to 5 years so I can take more and have kids that are at an age where the are not as needy as infants (I love infants but I will never take them again unless I take only infants). Decide what kind of program you have to offer and what will make it special and go from there. I took store bought cupcakes and treats to the school around the corner from my house and hung up signs anywhere I could and handed out business cards like crazy. I am registered with the state of Texas so I can take 6 kids and I could never afford an assistant (I also don't need one since the age group I have is easy). I am enrolled in the food program, use coupons and shop at costco for things that I can buy in bulk to save money. Over the past 2 years the only things I have done is keep changing my program to make sure it works well for me first, kids second and parents last . If you offer a good program they will eventually come and stay. I am glad you use this forum since it will benefit you greatly. This job is for resourceful, resilient people who understand that constantly assessing yourself and your program is beneficial to all parties. When I started my 2 sons were my motivation that kept me going. It will get better, don't give up.