View Single Post
Cradle2crayons 07:53 AM 04-08-2014
Originally Posted by Sdcp16:
Sorry this is a little long: I have been doing daycare for 15 years and haven't had this issue for this long before! I have a 3 year old boy who has been coming full time for about 6 months. He has a 7 yr old sister & 9 yr old brother who are both in school and don't attend dc. Every single morning at drop off, he cries. It never fails. He & his mom both have issues leaving the other. I can't even let her come past my breezeway with him because when I have, she won't leave. The first week, she would spend a good 45 minutes cuddled up with him either on the couch or the floor. I explained to her that she needs to just give him a kiss/hug and leave. No matter what I offer him in the morning to try to help him adjust, he refuses. He says no to everything. Typically I wind up having to finally pick him up after a good 10 min. of her trying to sweetly tell him to go have fun and she'll be back later, i have to carry him to my daycare space where he'll cry/scream for a minute or two and then is fine. He's great once he gets over this. He's great with me, the other kids and she sees how happy he is here at pick up everyday. Any suggestions on how to make him leave her better? And honestly, I'm going through chemo right now for breast cancer so honestly, carrying him somedays is very difficult for me. But I can't let mom come in from the breezeway or she won't leave!!!
Sounds to me like mom has the issue, not the kid. The kid is feeding off of moms issues.

In this case, I do bye bye outside. I explain the process to mom and start immediately.

She says her byes outside quickly and knocks on door, child walks in the door ALONE you shut the door and mom is left standing alone on the porch for as long as she wants to talk to herself.

I'd explain to mom she is making his process way harder than it needs to be and is causing separation anxiety in her child. Explain he bye bye outside and in no time it will get better.