View Single Post
amberrose3dg 10:24 AM 02-26-2018
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
This is so true.

Free Pre-K hasn't started in my city...yet. The school districts offer lower cost preschools that are 3ish hours long, and the high school students often help run the program. The particular preschool this mom posted about it a Christian based for profit brick and mortar school. And it would cost about $300 more per month. DCM's work pays for childcare/preschool/daycare/what have you, so I don't think cost is a huge factor for them.

I'm just curious since mom is so complimentary and verbally thankful (who knows her real feelings though?) why the change. Unless she just really believes a brick and mortar school is the next step.

On a side note, one of our local elementary schools offers aftercare from 3pm - 6:00pm for $9 per day. It seems very low to me. Before school and after school is $15 per day. So essentially your child can be away from home from 6:30am - 6:00pm for $15 per day
That is crazy. We have "Free" pre-k i guess but it is really hard to get into. Basically the low income families and the kids with learning disabilities get in first.There are 3 classrooms offered and around 18 kids in each classroom. That is not a lot of spaces for a town of 5,000. There is still somewhat a big need for daycare for pre-k ages. most parents here do not want to pay for private pre-k and a big portion want cheap/discounted daycare. I would love to do a pre-k program and curriculum but found it to not be of importance or valued.
Our teachers are currently on strike and a lot of parents are angry that they are being inconvenienced instead of looking at the bigger picture.