View Single Post
Controlled Chaos 07:12 AM 03-22-2016
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
I would not call her a roommate. I think that cheapens and belittles her importance. I would say partner. It will turn some people off from your program but it might attract others.
People use many factors when choosing a childcare and this could be a deciding factor both for or against your program. Wouldn't you rather have people involved who have similar lifestyles and beliefs than someone who may judge you after finding out her importance in your life? I think she deserves that you tell prospective families at introduction. It doesn't matter her involvement, her role, or her presence in the day to day of the business, but because we are family providers, in our homes, our natural behaviors and daily life play a huge part in what makes our programs the individual creations that they are.
I'm not saying,
To start the interview with::
Hey. I'm in a same sex relationship, but rather,
This is my partner, Tamika, she works outside the home but will be here sometimes.
Just as a heterosexual provider would introduce their partner. Be it a husband, boyfriend, etc.

If someone's going to judge you let them get it out of the way at the beginning. Then everyone can either accept it or keep looking.

I even make a point of "outing" myself as a Catholic since I live in UT and have had families ask if I am a "member" (of the LDS church) at the end of the 2nd interview and then back out as they aren't comfortable with a non mormon provider After a few times of wasting my time like that I made a point to bring it up casually before meeting someone, usually by talking about what holidays a close for Luckily most of my business now comes from referrals so its not as much a problem, but for a while it was a big problem.