View Single Post
MarinaVanessa 03:37 PM 05-19-2010
Well just remember that you should do what works for you. Just because my policies are different than others doesn't mean that I or someone else is doing it wrong. I offer one week free for vacation and a 2nd at half price and you offer two weeks off. Great! Giving two weeks a year per family just wouldn't work for me financially. I have 5 paid sick days (which still to this day I have never used) not everybody has a sick policy. I give families a 10 hour a day max and will watch their kids even if they are not at work, I figure if you pay for the slot you should be able to use it whether you're working, napping, getting your hair done or running errands as long as you don't go out of your scheduled time slot but not everybody else does and that's ok. I also only take paid days for major holidays i.e. Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, the day after Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. Some providers take less paid days off some take more. What I'm saying is that we all do what works better for us individually.

If you want to reduce the amount of vacation, do it. If you want to get 5 paid sick days, do it. It's your business afterall. If you're worried about making clients angry and losing them then talk to them about it and address any concerns. You could also amend one section like shortening the vacation time you give and then later down the road add the 5 paid sick days so that you aren't changing both at the same time. Think about it like this: if you throw a frog into a pot of boiling water it'll immediately jump out but if you put him in the pot and slowly raise the temperature in the end you'll have a cooked frog just how you wanted lol.