View Single Post
daycare 10:39 AM 11-21-2015
Originally Posted by spedmommy4:
Often, kids at this age are still learning appropriate social skills. I have one dcb(3) who came in with all of these behaviors plus hitting. He just didn't know how to establish and maintain positive interactions with other kids.

I use the tools on this site a lot
http://csefel.vanderbilt.edu/resources/strategies.html

With dcb, we used the stories: I can use my words and I can be a super friend. I changed the words a little because the super friend story is a little wordy for pre-k.

I also used the solution cue cards. I printed out a set and attached them to a square tissue box with contact paper. Every time he got into a conflict with a child, we grabbed the box and solved the problem together. Now he can solve problems on his own, without resorting to agression.

HTH
I've taken cesefel training and use a lot of these tactics.
So yesterday at pick up I talked to mom and while I was talking to dcm the dcb was really acting out. Dcb older brother was there and dcb decided to dump this box of little people, about 20 of them. Without asking the older brother picks up one of the little people and dcb flips out and screams in his face.

Dcm responds only to the older brother and got mad at him for touching one of the little people. I looked at dcb and said I'm taking these away because we don't scream in anyone's face, you can use your words.

Of course dcb starts screaming and runs to dcm who then babies him.
I tell dcm I'm sorry but two wrongs don't make a right. He is old enough to use his words and it's not ok to yell in someone's face because they touched 1 of 20 toys or for any reason.

Dcm just keeps nagging at the older brother while she rocks and babies dcb.

I just keep repeating to dcb you need to use your words. Dcm got upset and left.

So now i know why dcb is the way he is.

I really feel that this will be an ongoing losing battle that will never get fixed.
I can't change how they parent and so far all of my Methods don't work. ��