View Single Post
jonicurry 01:46 PM 03-04-2017
Hi Tom, I am currently reading your 2016 Tax Workbook and Organizer, and I am confused about a few issues that I am hoping you can clarify.

1. Depreciating carpeting/vinyl flooring (that can be removed without damaging the floor): At the top of page 95, it says that if you began depreciating these items under the 39-year rule, you can switch over to the 7-year rules. But page 92 says that once you have chosen a depreciation method and have begun depreciating an item, you must continue using that method for the entire life of the item.

2. Depreciating office equipment: page 86 says that you may use the 50% bonus depreciation rule for office equipment purchased new in 2016 regardless of how often it is used in your business. But page 74 says that the 50% bonus depreciation rule may only be applied to office equipment used more than 50% of the time in business.

3. Along the same line as #2, the book says that computers are listed property and that you can only use the 50% Bonus rule if the computer's business use is more than 50%. Is this for computers only, or would this also apply for tablets?

4. On page 85, the book says that cell phones are listed property, but I thought IRS took cell phones out of the listed property definitions a few years ago.

5. And finally, one other question about listed property - are computers and passenger vehicles the only listed property? I have read in other sources that things like TVs and cameras are listed property as well.

Thank you so much for your help!