View Single Post
TomCopeland 02:51 PM 06-04-2013
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:
I just recently went through the training, home updating, home inspecting, background checking, etc. to become licensed. The whole shebang. It wasn't cheap. And it was a lot of work.

Now I'm realizing just how many illegally unlicensed home daycares there are in my area. All of them are advertising they offer full time care (I'm in Kansas and you cannot watch children more than 20 hours total per week without being licensed). They ADVERTISE! Most included IN their advertisement that they are unlicensed.

I just don't get it. Is there no one doing anything about these people? I worked damn hard to get where I am... just to turn around and find out that not only am I competing against established home daycares but unlicensed SAHM's who charge the same as licensed care.

Sorry to vent... it's just SO. FRUSTRATING.

/end of rant
I completely agree with your concern. In our area, our local family child care association and CCR&R agency approached the newspapers that were running ads from illegal providers and told them to stop accepting those ads. We successfully argued that they might be held liable if a child was injured in one of these homes. The newspaper then required providers to list their license # in their ads. I'd ask Craigslist to do the same.