View Single Post
Willow 06:42 AM 08-03-2012
My daycare is Montessori inspired. I'll be working towards official certification within the next year or so.

As of now I don't have a lot of the more child friendly furniture and fixtures, but that's in the works. I do keep my daycare environment very minimalist. Everything is very organized so each child can focus and move from work station/task to another without a lot of visual or physical clutter. I offer opportunities for each child to do their "work" individually, one on one with me, and with each other daily. We focus on learning through play and sensory awareness, developing self help skills and there is a big emphasis on experiencing and learning in and around nature.

For several years I nannied for a pair of doctors who sent their three kids to Montessori preschool and was straight SHOCKED at the differences between what they were able to learn, their overall demeanor and how they were able to express themselves compared to other kids their age. They had so much more self control, fantastic vocabularies, phenomenal imaginations.....I knew it was something I was going to do for my kids one day and when I started doing daycare it was a definite inspiration for me as a provider. I plan to go all in once we build our addition.