View Single Post
Blackcat31 06:35 AM 05-22-2018
Originally Posted by happymom:
(Please note that I am in no way blaming providers or assuming responsibility falls on them --- but if you had the opportunity to safe a kids life by checking in with the parent, wouldn't you want to help?)
That's a very unfair statement and way too complex to expect a yes or no response.

Did you watch the video I posted about the provider testifying at the Senate hearing in MN... the provider that had a baby die of SIDS in her care....look what happened to her.

Do I want to even be involved in discussions about MY responsibility in calling a no-show parent to double check to see if they forgot THEIR baby in the car?

The short answer is no.

That doesn't automatically mean I am cold, or don't care or that I am refusing to be part of the "village" or that I am callous and unfeeling.

It means I have enough responsibility on my plate already (potty training, sleep training, teaching good manners/behaviors, teaching health/nutrition, providing exercise and outdoor time, teaching academics and self-help skills etc..) and I'll be damned if I will accept the responsibility and liability of making sure parents don't forget their precious babies in the car.

If the parent forgets and baby dies......it's a tragic, horrible, senseless accident.

If I forget to call and baby dies....I'll forever be the monster that caused a child's death. I will never work in this field again and will more then likely lose everything I've worked for my whole life.

Society as a whole really needs to start reassessing responsibility and assigning it where it truly belongs.

In MANY areas of life. Not just this particular topic.

@Happymom....my response wasn't aimed at you personally. I'm just weary of the concept that child care providers should bear the responsibility for so many things.