View Single Post
Blackcat31 04:57 PM 12-13-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Like just now, I picked him up from preschool and my daughter was with me as well. It’s raining very hard and is already dark here at 5:00pm so I stopped them at the door on our way out, got down on their level to let them know that we need to walk right to our doors and get in. My DD did as she was told. My DS ran up and down the sidewalk with me telling him the car was about to leave. I was finally able to get close to him to carry him to the car while telling him that since he couldn’t walk right to the car like he was told, he had to be carried. He cried and kicked. I made sure he understood before we left the building that he was to walk and he said yes ma’am. My heart hurts right now.
I’m sorry.
Parenting IS hard and no one ever promised it wouldn’t hurt sometimes

But now you know.
He isn’t going to walk to the car unassisted without running off. Hold his hand from now on (grip it tightly... it’s a safety issue ) and walk him directly to the car at pick up.

You don’t need to explain in detail or discuss at length. Just firmly and matter of factly tell him he is not allowed to walk unassisted to the car as he does not listen. Rinse and repeat.

When he begins to show responsibility and compliance in other areas of life (non-safety issues) then you’ll be able to expect the same from him as you can of your daughter.

He’s capable.
He simply needs to be taught in an alternate method.

Important thing is you just keep trying until you find the method that works.