View Single Post
gkids09 12:00 PM 03-22-2010
When I first started my daycare, I had the same problem with two different employees. One was my (get ready, this is a tough one to explain in a simple way) cousin's kids' mother, and the other was someone another lady had recommended who had been in child care before. The first one did not come in except when she felt like it, IF she came in. So, if it was supposed to be only her and me here, and she didn't show up, I was alone, and having to call someone to come help me. So, I finally just started texting her at the beginning of the day (that's the ONLY way she'd communicate), and telling her that we had it covered and she could do something else that day. Eventually, she admitted she had gotten a job at a bar and was sleeping all day, so she didn't need this job anyway. The SECOND lady was a replacement for the first, and as my dad says, "she woke up to a new world every day." She never, ever, ever was here on time. She was scheduled to work 3 days a week, and called in at least one day EVERY WEEK, sometimes ten minutes AFTER she was supposed to be here and I'd been trying to call her. Eventually, she really was sick, but I was so tired of her calling in that I told her she either needed to come in or I'd write her last check. That was easy enough. Now I have employees that are so dependable I don't have to wake up in the middle of the night wondering whether or not they'll be on time or not. One has been here 9 years, and one worked here for 12 years, quit and took another job, and is now back for the good. It helps to not hire friends, but sometimes that's the only thing you CAN do, if you really need the help immediately. I agree with paying her hourly, because then if she does want to call in sick, you CAN take those hours off her check. I also think she either needs to pay you for her kids or take them somewhere else. This is your business, and if those two are counting as two in your care, you ARE, like you said, losing money. Good luck with this, I know it's hard, but I know you can do it!!