View Single Post
sarah33 02:17 PM 07-10-2014
So, I have two 8-month-old babies 3 days a week and both sets of parents want organic food. I told them initially that I could not provide it as it was too expensive. I would be able to offer regular baby food. They both decided to bring their own organic baby food instead.

It was kind of bugging me, so I asked my USDA Food Program rep if the USDA was thinking of offering more money to recompense for organic food (right now, it is .40 for snack and $1.40 for lunch.) She said no, and then came to meet with me. She is super sweet and convinced me to give it a trial period of buying organic food in bulk and then freezing it.

I have never made baby food, and I don't even buy organic for my own family as it is too expensive. This seems to be the trend, though, in all the parents in our are (between D.C. and Baltimore).

I think I will offer it until 1 year of age ONLY. I will be making it this weekend and have these re-usable pouches:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FNIZQ6W/...332200_TE_item

I will be able to write off the extra expense at the end of the year, but the upfront cost is pretty high.

What do you ladies (and occasional gentleman) think of this new trend? Does it make me more marketable? Or is it taking on too much?