View Single Post
Cat Herder 04:54 AM 01-04-2011
I do it a bit different, I guess. I do not do swings, bouncers, or any restraint type of device...except for when they are newborn (6-12 weeks) and the parents bring me their swing for a few weeks (only if they are already habituated to it). I wean them off quick, though, since I feel strongly that is why so many infants scream whenever their feet hit the floor.

I only use exersaucers on the outdoor playground so the bigger kids can play without littles underfoot and littles are able to see everything but not eat the mulch . I do not use high chairs until they are able to sit up unassisted; I feed them in bean bag chairs when they are still spoon fed (easier/safer for me with more than one infant).

Each child gets their own "half wall" divided playroom 36 ft with play mat flooring. Infants each have their own toys, "gym mats" with mobiles and the divider walls are decorated with hanging toys and tactile cloths/boards. They learn to roll, crawl and walk in their own little safe house free from toddler domination , but are still able to see everyone. Each infant I accept is a large investment and since I only enroll infants I am very selective .

There is also one large central area for group activities and a huge indoor climber with tunnels and slides. It is a very "physical" setup but allows each child their own individualized quiet space as well. I initially set this playroom up for my own three children and it has served me very well over the years.