View Single Post
midaycare 01:13 PM 12-16-2014
Originally Posted by Christina72684:
Besides little things here and there that are bound to happen, how often do kids get hurt at your daycare? We've been open 3.5 years with 2 locations and I can count on one hand the number of times a kid has gotten hurt enough to be worried about (like one kid who was 9 months and walking lost balance and fell on a round table, giving himself a really bad black eye, and one kid walked into a room that he wasn't supposed to be in and came out 30 seconds later with his mouth bleeding but we never found out what happened). No one's broken a bone or anything like that, so I think we're doing pretty good.

I ask because yesterday one of my preschoolers was running (which I tell him over and over to stop) and he tripped over his own feet and fell on a low table, the ONLY table in the whole place that doesn't have rounded corners. He hit the corner straight on, right on the middle of his forehead. It was bleeding EVERYWHERE!!! The cut is probably 1-2" wide and might need stitches but they're trying glue right now. Of course the parents blame me (not directly but I can tell they're pissed), even though they know he runs and I tell him to stop. Accidents happen and I think we've done pretty good in the past 3.5 years.
Something very similar happened to my DS when he was in 3 year old preschool. His pants were too long for him, he tripped over them, hit the c or er of a bookshelf just right, and ended up needed stitches on his head.

Head wounds bleed like nothing else. These things happen. They could happen to him at school, a friend's house ... Unfortunately it happened on your watch. Hopefully they understand and think rationally about it when things calm down.