View Single Post
Unregistered 08:30 PM 11-13-2010
I'm so sorry to hear this happened to your child. It's terrible that the staff didn't know what happened and it doesn't surprise me that they didn't even notice his swollen wrist. I can't tell you how many times my child has come home with injuries that the teachers were clueless about that he was crying about at pickup and they gave me the same story as you. It's funny how afterward, every time, he told me that he told the teachers and that they wouldn't do anything about it. Needless to say, my child doesn't attend that daycare anymore by our choice.

Here's what I would do:
1. Pull your child out of that daycare immediately for his safety. While mistakes happen, it's the way they reacted to you initially that is a major red flag. The director has policies and procedures to follow as well as insurance. She should have provided you with information before you left that day, not just saying "let me know." Good teachers will show genuine concern and will apologize. Also, children cry when they get hurt. I'd have a hard time believing your kid didn't cry and call lots of attention to himself after it happened like the teachers claimed. This could be lack of supervision or blatant negligence or disregard. Trust me, this type of thing happens more than you can imagine. Be sure that the dr. sends the bill directly to daycare, not to you.
2. Call licensing and report this immediately. They will investigate and this incident will be put on their permanent record as well as having to be posted publicly for families to see.
3. If it's a chain, go above the director's head immediately and ask to talk to their risk management dept - corporate centers usually get right on this stuff.
4. Find out who their insurance agent is and get info on their policy - they all have to have insurance in order to operate. You shouldn't have to pay for a single thing even if you signed some kind of waiver.

Good luck and please keep us posted on how your child is doing! I can't stress enough that you need to pull your child out of there immediately.