View Single Post
Snowmom 08:37 AM 03-27-2016
Originally Posted by Darling:
I run an in home daycare. We completed our state registration in October of last year (5 months ago). So far all I've managed to bring in is one little girl for two days per week. We had another little one for 2 days before her parents put her into a large center. I advertise multiple times per week on Craigslist, and have adds up at every online classified listing site I can find. We are listed on our states CCRR referral list but have gotten nothing through it. I'm active and advertise on Facebook groups, as many as I can find. We have put up flyers and signs in our area.

Our website seems to land traffic, we are listed with Google and Bing. We offer a sign up promotion. Any ideas or recommendations for improvements? www.DarlingDucklingsPortland.com.

I hope this doesn't come across as advertising or pandering. I'm just getting desperate. My husband has been working 2 jobs to get us through until the daycare takes off. Savings are going to run out. I need kids soon or I will have to start making other plans. And ideas welcome.
I briefly looked through the website/pages.

There are a couple things I would change:

1. Your home page: Personally, I wouldn't start off with a picture of your home. Get something to capture interest and represents you or your philosophy. Whether it's PLAY related, curriculum related, outdoor related, family related, etc. You don't even necessarily need a picture, you could do an introduction and describe why your daycare is the best. and invite them to take a look around your website.

2. There are a couple noticeable spacing issues with the text when I viewed it on my laptop (pricing had some major ones).

3. Photos: I would stick to clear, bright photos. Putting interior photos up that look dark can give off a sense of a "dreary home". If you can't lighten them up, then I'd just leave them off entirely. Actually, I'd just stick to a few of your favorite pictures- in my opinion, you don't need to put pictures of your entire home or play space in. Take some pictures of your son playing in the bright outdoor space (if you take photos of other children, make sure you have a photo release!).

4. The "Darling Ducklings Doings": while very cute, definitely take out anything that parents might not be thrilled with... like the being sick part. All I think as a parent is "wow, the entire month of February people were sick...I'm not going there".

Good luck! It takes time to establish yourself. Try putting business cards up in coffee shops, grocery store bulletin boards, libraries. Tell your friends to put out the word- post it on Facebook asking friends to "share" your openings.