View Single Post
Michael 10:43 PM 03-24-2020
Originally Posted by Valerie928:
I talked to my cousin, an actual human in the medical field. She is a pediatric nurse practitioner and works in the PICU at our largest children's hospital here in my city. I asked her if she is worried about the virus. She said compare it to the flu minus a vaccine. Just wash your hands and do your best to stay healthy.
I personally don't think all this quarantine stuff is worth it. It's just delaying the spread.
Originally Posted by Jo123ABC:
I disagree and think the social distancing is worth it. There need to be doctors, nurses, and equipment ready for those who need it. If everyone gets sick at the same time medical professionals won't be able to keep up.
I agree with both of you. It important that we slow the spread. If we could manage this disease with medicine and healthcare like any other treatable disease we could get back to living life normally. Everyone in the world has contracted the cold or flu by a young age, this should be no different. Currently it is our boogeyman. There is hope that the trials which started yesterday in New York using hydrochloraguine will be one of the drugs which will be effective. These next two weeks will tell us a lot.

If the flu did not have a vaccine, and we were counting every death and infection, it would look similar. We need treatment and a vaccine.

Every year the common flu mutates as a killer of up to 40,000 a year in the US. We manage it even with those mortality rates.