View Single Post
Familycare71 04:42 PM 07-30-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Every one of you makes a point. I try VERY hard to make parents understand that I do not believe in "no book learnin' for young 'uns" gggvy

I want these kids to experience the wonder of their surroundings and learn as we do things-picking up leaves at the park, identifying colors on walks, counting the ducklings at the zoo, stuff like that. We even talk about the body and how it makes POOP...they ARE getting educated, just about things they WANT to know about...we let their natural curiosity guide what we learn about. I just think that kids get pushed too hard at too young of an age and I just won't do it at my house.

Maybe I did not do a good enough job of letting Mom know that I am not about a 3 year old reading at a 7th grade level. Not even about a 3 year old writing his name. Heck, I wouldn't send my OWN 3 year old to preschool.

I do work really hard to teach these kids self-care skills, manners and etiquette, and general social skills. We grocery shop for the daycare together, and kids learn about what goes into a recipe. I believe that I am preparing them for life and for school, but I don't want to put pressure on them to learn things they just don't need to know yet.

I will consider maybe a little more "learning" when we're at the table coloring or drawing, and I think I will have to talk with mom again about what I'm willing to do.
Why
I think I was just very offended at the accusatory tone from Mom, and her just assuming that it was my job to do this, when I felt that it was clear that it was not my intention. I'm really getting burned out on parents trying to push ALL of their responsibilities on me. Really, don't parents see the joy in teaching your own child how to do these things? It's why I decided to quit my job and stay home-I WANTED to be the one to potty train, teach ABC's, etc.
I agree 100%!!! I do NOT try to teach letter, ghnumbers, etc outside of play before 4... And I do some work sheets and pre-school stuff then because I feel I have to in order to be competitive... I want to let kids be kids and learn like kids!!