View Single Post
Max 06:00 AM 11-18-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
That is not what MN law says. It's what YOUR lawyer is saying. It is not MN law/regulations for child care providers

Nope, the provider would be in trouble for NOT allowing the father to pick up.

The ONLY way I can deny a father (custodial or not) access to his child is if I have COURT PAPERS saying I can't let the child go.

A written statement from the unwed mother will NOT protect me nor does it give me the right to deny the father.

If the unwed mother does not want the father having access, then she needs to go to court and get the proper paperwork.

That is MN FAMILY CHILD CARE LAW (Rule 2) which I am legally bound to follow.

http://tomcopelandblog.com/how-to-re...s-with-parents
I think it is what MN law says. Yes, it is also coming from my lawyer, but from what I read of the statutes, he is reaffirming what they say. He's been practicing family law (adoptions, custody, foster care, etc.) for 25 years, was Attorney of the Year a few years ago, and has significant experience with the Minnesota Supreme Court. I mention those things because he isn't just another family lawyer... he's very reputable and this is his area of expertise.

The link to Tom's blog says:

Q: “This happened to me this morning. A single mother who never been married to the father tells me do not let her father pick her up. What do I do?”

A: I assume you know who the father is. The answer can vary depending on your state. In Minnesota the mother has all the rights to the child if the parents were never married. Unless you know your state law, I would honor the wishes of the mother and not let the father pick up the child. If the father objects, ask the father to produce something in writing from a court that says he can pick up. If he tries to argue about this and insists on taking the child, call 911.

Q: “What if you don’t know the father and he has been gone for years, no court orders, never married?”

A: Take reasonable steps to prevent him from taking the child. Call the mother. If he takes the child, call 911.

All the other Q & As seem to refer to married couples, which is totally different for fathers and custody.

"If the father objects, ask the father to produce something in writing from a court that says he can pick up." <- a birth cert wouldn't qualify.