View Single Post
Max 10:54 AM 11-18-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
We have a help line for any question we need to clarify or ask to DHS. I submitted the following:

"If an unwed mother gives me a written statement saying I cannot allow her child's biological father to pick up the child, can I legally deny access?"

This is DHS's response:

"Family Child Care providers may not deny a parent access to their child. Court documents must be present on site and provided for any child within a custody or parental dispute. If necessary call 911."

Here is the link to ask DHS...you can ask them yourself.

http://www.dhs.state.mn.us/main/idcp...ame=DHS-285366
I don't have a license number yet I'll try to get a hold of DHS another way - thanks!

Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
If an unwed mother is truly concerned about the welfare of her child and has good reason to not want her child to have access to the other parent, then she needs to ensure that will not happen by going to court and getting the required paperwork so that I, as her provider (not her attorney or counsel) does not have to be in the middle of something that has nothing to do with me.
It's not that easy. I wholeheartedly agree providers shouldn't have to be put in the middle but getting court orders could take months, even over a year, and up to $20,000 to get settled. Even with the time and money, evidence may be lacking so the court may have no choice but to deny a request for a protection order.

Granted, yes, this isn't the providers problem. I'm just saying it's not necessarily a solution