View Single Post
Unregistered 07:51 PM 01-26-2011
My, you sound like a provider who really doesn't like parents or children... Maybe time to find a new profession? I am a healthcare professional and think it is completely fair to provide my childcare provider for the same paid holidays that most other professionals receive.. These would be Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc.. But, we had one who wanted paid time off for every school vacation day, including the 2 weeks off at Christmas paid! This is an extreme hardship on parents who must pay "double" and find someone else to cover those days. Many of these parents aren't lucky enough to be getting ANY paid holidays of their own... Of the ones who are, only parents who happen to be school teachers are getting as many paid holidays as this childcare provider. (We found someone new). If this woman wants so many paid holidays she should go back to college and get a teaching degree.[/quote]

It sounded more like she was frustrated by parents that are unappreciative of a good provider. Listen, there are all sorts of providers out there both good and bad, effective and ineffective. The bottom line is that when you sign up it's important to ask the questions that would be most important to you and the fact that days off didn't come up is an indication that you were more concerned with other things. Maybe now it's become an issue and that happens. There are a varied amount of providers (as you'll read) with varied policies. In the end, it's up to the provider to decide and we do that based on what our expenses are..and some of us have more expenses than others. We have staff, food, utilities, insurance costs, curriculum costs, staff and personal training costs (in NY we are mandated to continue trainings even with a MA!!) cleaning services etc... Many work 11 and 12 hour days (think about your center hours) doing a really tough job. It's not easy to care for a bunch of little children each day trying to ensure their safety and well being, their health and their development. The frustration comes because when parents penny pinch, it comes across as inconsiderate, selfish and ungrateful. By the way, I do have a degree and am a certified teacher. I opted for this because I believe education starts here. Additionally, when your child goes to school, the same will be required. You will either pay for private school, even during school closings, and there are many!! OR you will pay for care during those times and many of us see ourselves as more than "babysitters" but preschools. "By the way, if this woman wants to be paid for so many holidays she should go back to school and get a teaching degree" .... I don't have to get a job in a school to get days off!! I can do whatever I want - as did your old childcare provider. And while I only close one week a year, don't take many days off and I do have subs if I get sick (although I never have!) the bottom line is it's really not your place to make those sorts of comments or judgments. We do teach. We are teachers at our OWN schools and you not knowing what the policies are about days off - well that's your problem ..and I guess your child's. ..I mean now that they're probably getting substandard care..DAILY because they're open all the time.