View Single Post
Cradle2crayons 05:42 PM 05-22-2013
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I don't understand this. Why lie? If it's really an issue for you, just explain to them that you can't handle overnight guests at this time.

My sister comes several times a year for a month or so and usually stays at my house, sleeps on my sofa. I don't have a problem with it, normally. Last Oct, I heard through the grapevine that she AND her dh (whom I can't profess to love) were going to stay here for 10 days. My niece was going to take a week off of work and they would be coming and going late at night. All 3 smoke, so they're in and out 1/2 the night to go out to have a cigarette. The constant in and out, plus the smoke, wakes up my dd, sil, and grandson. I told her, sorry, not happening. Yeah, she got hurt, but she lived.
First of all, sometimes it's easier to not hurt feelings, depending on the situation.

Second of all, I read her post wrong where she said " throw the in law " and I read throw in the law... Some states don't allow overnight guests or have restrictions. But regardless I read the post wrong.

But anyway, I'm not afraid to admit that sometimes I've lied to family so as to NOT hurt feelings, only in extreme circumstances.

As far as overnight guests are concerned, family already knows its not happening. It does throw off my schedule and it does interfere. Maybe once a year wouldn't be so bad. But I have dck on weekends too so for me it's not the weekend thing but the days I DO get off which are very rare.