View Single Post
sahm2three 01:22 PM 12-22-2010
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I would say that it's a defense mechanism--and a reflection on the way he gets treated at home or elsewhere when he's caught doing "wrong" (not that at his age there's much that's truly "wrong", iykwim).

A 2 year old is not capable of purposefully concealing the truth--but they are capable of telling what they wish had happened, or what they know the adult wants to hear, or, in these cases, what they know will NOT get them in trouble. "Truth" is a fluid concept for them, and it will be until early elementary school.

As for doing things only when he thinks you're not looking--I'd say that's pretty normal. Mine has done it all along! But again, I think it probably reflects a lot on how he gets treated at home.
This does make a lot of sense. He is living with mom, who I think is over indulgant, and spends time at dad's house, who is fed up with the kids behavior and goes over the top, in my opinion. I feel bad for the kid, but at the same time, lying is something that I can't stand. Of course, I know he is only 2, but I guess that is why it alarmed me. I have never experienced a child lying at this age. He is so sneaky. He will look at me out of the corner of his eye to see if I am watching him, and if he doesn't think I am, he will shove one of the smaller kids down, or take a toy away. I am forever telling him to give back the toy he took from this person or that. Taking toys is a normal behavior. I guess I am just worn out and ready for a long weekend.