View Single Post
Blackcat31 07:06 AM 04-25-2018
Originally Posted by Jamie:
I actually disagree. I ask parents how they sleep at home, what they eat etc., but I actually don't really care, and I truly think that the less I know about it the better.
I am not their mom, and this is not their home. Their sleep routine is different, their food is different, the toys are different, I probably react different to different things. They have no problem with that.

I currently have a DCG who co sleeps at home, a DCB who gets bottles at home, and two DCBs who sleep outside in prams (common in Denmark) at home. They all sleep on my cots here, with my blankets and my pillows. In the dark, with white noise, and nobody gets up before the two hour mark.
I do my thing, the parents do theirs, and the kids adjust.
I agree with this for younger children but not older kids.
If this child was 18 months etc...adjusting to a different routine is usually painless but this child is 2 yrs old AND new to this daycare.

I am normally in the camp of you do your thing, I'll do mine too but not in situations like this. That's almost impossible when the child is rocked AND held by more than one caregiver. I suppose if you (general you/caregiver) want to do the work, it's possible but I am personally so over trying to undo what parents have done.

It's stressful for the child, the other children and the caregiver and it's simply unfair. The longer I do this job the more I realize that I shouldn't HAVE to fix other people's bad habits...if they can't, won't or don't see the issue I can't work with them.
Plain and simple.

So yes, I do agree with the idea that home routines don't have to impact daycare routines but I just don't see that as the case when the child is this old and getting it (routine) from more than one caregiver.

I'd be interested in how the parents parent in general. If they are "no-cry", child rules the house type parents...If they are, I honestly wouldn't even be willing to try. *sigh* I'm so over fixing this type of thing.